Boise State University was originally founded by the Episcopal Church in 1932, when it was known as as Boise Junior College. Four-year college status was approved in 1965 and the school officially entered the state system of higher education in 1969 under the name Boise State College. The institution adopted its current name in 1974.
Boise State is accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities and awards associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees. Students can earn over 200 degrees in 190 fields of study. The university offers over 100 graduate programs.
The university’s goal is “to foster an intellectual atmosphere that produces educated, literate people—people knowledgeable of public affairs, committed to lifelong learning, and capable of creative problem-solving.”
The main Boise State campus is located on the south bank of the Boise River. The West campus, which existed in Nampa, Idaho, separated from the school and transitioned into a two-year community college in 2009. Three education centers are still located at Mountain Home Air Force Base, Gowen Field and in Twin Falls, Idaho.